BookFest is a festival for children who love stories!
Director Sarah Mullen launched Bournville BookFest in 2014 on a shoestring budget and no experience of running a literature festival. She won a £2000 Vision award from Bournville Village Trust to run a really high-quality children's book festival, which was also unstuffy and accessible.
Six years later, it's one of the biggest children's book festivals in the UK and Birmingham's only dedicated book festival for 0-12s.
Families across the city have been asking for their own BookFests so in 2019 as well as Bournville BookFest we organised Sutton Coldfield BookFest, Solihull BookFest, and Barnt Green BookFest.
This Christmas we intend to hold a festive fundraiser show with all the fun and class you associate with Busy Parents Network events - The Snowman , with live drawing and orchestral music. All profits will go to BookFest, and it promises to be a truly magical show for the whole family. Details for booking tickets will be announced shortly.
How is Busy Parents Network funded?
Busy Parents Network is a not-for-profit social enterprise based at Bournville Community Hub, which we also run for the community.
We keep our prices low and use venues across the city, so they're easy to get to. We have a fantastic schools programme - Literature Out of the Box - so we can reach more children than ever before. And we're 100% committed to running BookFest on not-for-profit lines, and to paying all authors, artists and performers properly.
We couldn't do all this without funding from Arts Council England and private sponsorship - or the generosity of our Venue Partners, who largely let us use their venues free of charge.
Look out for our pop-up BookFest BookShops - and remember every book bought helps pay to bring authors to Birmingham. We're not just about new books either ! You'll see a BookSwap stall at many of our events, where children are invited to bring old favourites and swap them for new.
Coming to Busy Parents Network events
We do expect all children to be accompanied by an adult, and that means - rather like going to the cinema - adults will need to buy tickets too. We hope this means you come to BookFest and have an amazing time making things, laughing and learning together. There are exceptions to the Adult Ticket Rule such as writing workshops - where grown-ups merely need to be on hand in case they are needed - and the Moving Stories programme where the tickets are clearly labelled "Per Child".
Finally, if you are bringing along older children, then babes-in-arms are free. If they are coming to one of our baby or pre-schoolers events, then we hope you understand they will need a ticket.
We hope you have a wonderful time at BookFest - you're guaranteed a warm welcome!
Competition Terms and Conditions
The below terms and conditions apply to all competitions run by Busy Parents Network unless specified otherwise:
- Entry into any Busy Parents Network-promoted competition will be deemed as acceptance of the below terms and conditions
- By entering the competition, entrants automatically give consent for their entries and any content thereof, including their name and other personal data, to be used in any and all Busy Parents Network publicity materials without notice or limitation
- Employees of Busy Parents Network, their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition shall not be permitted to enter competitions.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter Busy Parents Network competitions.
- No entries to the competition will be permitted after the specified closing date. Busy Parents Network reserves the right to reject competition entries on these grounds. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for any reason, even if beyond the entrant's control.
- Prizes are non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. Prizes are subject to availability and Busy Parents Network reserves the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without notice.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of the winner all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified within 10 working days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 10 working days of notification, Busy Parents Network reserves the right to withdraw the prize and pick a replacement winner.
- The Busy Parents Network reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice.